08 August 2008

Favorite Place, Dirty Face


A couple of days ago I had to leave my favorite place in the world. It was sad for a few reasons: first off I absolutely love Joe's Valley so I didn't want to leave, and next is that it's not quite the same as it used to be, which kinda just sucks. I've been going camping with family and friends at Joe's Valley my entire life, and I've always loved it pretty much more than anything.

The last few years it has been getting SO much more crowded. We talked to a ranger that said they expected a half a million visitors this summer season. That's up from 5,000 ten years ago. I should be happy that all of these people are enjoying my favorite place, but I most certainly am NOT. I guess I'll just have to learn to share. Also, over the last... i don't know how many... years those darned beetles have been killing all of the nice pretty pine trees too. It's too bad that we can't just pause when things are perfect, but that's just how life is I guess.

Despite the extra people, and a few dead trees, this summer camping spot can not be outdone. family, friends, fires, fishing, food, fun, firearms, four wheelers, and a few other things that don't start with F will always make summer a real summer, and can't fail at making me happy.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

aahh, I love your ode to Joes Valley. I feel the same sort of bitter sweet about it. I will always love it up there but somehow in my grown up years it has lost just a touch of the magic that it used to hold. But still there are so many great memories arent there?!

Brandon said...

I'm sad for your grown up years.

Michelle said...

sometimes i am too...